Must-Haves for New Moms
A baby shower gift registry is a great way to start planning out the items you’ll need once the baby arrives. As an expecting mother, you might find yourself registering for every item you see for your new little one. No matter how long your wishlist gets, don’t forget about the items you’ll absolutely need once the baby is born. It’s easy to get caught up in your baby wants vs. your baby needs. Include these essential items in your registry and breathe a sigh of relief that you’ve checked another task off of your to-do list.
As a new mom, you don’t want to always have to multitask using one arm while holding baby in the other. The baby carrier leaves both of your arms free to tackle what comes your way while keeping baby close and allows you to practice babywearing, which is important for bonding.
Baby Carrier Shopping Tips:
- Choose one that is able to support the baby's head in the beginning
- Enough support around the shoulders and hips is difficult to tell while pregnant so if possible, have a family member or friend try it on for you to check the fit
- A baby carrier should provide comfort to both you and baby. Look for those made with soft, breathable material
A nursing pillow is a novel item to have on hand once the baby is born. Not only will it provide comfort and support during feedings, but it can be used for tummy time and later on as support as baby learns to sit up. The support a nursing pillow gives your back and shoulders while breastfeeding will feel like a return on investment alone.
Nursing Pillow Shopping Tips:
- Choose a nursing pillow proven to lift baby into an ergonomic position for feeding
- Look for a machine washable pillow for easy and convenient cleaning
- If using a nursing pillow with slipcovers, get some extras to have on hand to keep it fresh and clean
When you need a break from babywearing, a baby lounger comes in handy to provide comfort and support to your newborn. Think of the lounger as the baby version of your couch or sofa. Loungers are portable so baby can lie comfortably near you as you catch up on household chores or get back to exercising to lose that baby weight.
Lounger Shopping Tips:
- Choose a lounger that’s lightweight enough to easily transport not only throughout the house but for traveling as well
- Look for one that’s machine washable and easy-to-clean fabric to tackle messes big and small
- A lounger with a contoured interior will allow your baby to comfortably relax and stretch out
This is an item you’ll need immediately to take baby home from the hospital safely. Babies should be in a rear-facing car seat until the age of 2. Take your time and do your research on this essential item. Look for any recalls before purchasing or adding to your registry.
Car Seat Shopping Tips:
- Make sure it fits in your vehicle. A car seat that fits in an SUV seat perfectly might not fit correctly in a compact car
- Consider the frequency you’ll be taking the car seat in and out of the vehicle. Portability might top your list when considering certain models
- Look for one that’s easy to clean, just in case messes happen on the road
- Look for comfort. A happy baby makes for a happy driver
Other Must-Haves to Consider Before Baby Arrives:
- Breast pump
- Crib or bassinet
- Baby monitor
- Baby bathtub
- Baby first aid kit