September is Baby Safety Month!
Even though it’s already almost over, September is this year’s Baby Safety Month!
Sponsored annually by The Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA), Baby Safety Month is dedicated to educating moms, dads, and all caregivers alike on the importance of safely using second-hand products. Here are some of their recommendations:
- Keep track of product recalls – Manufacturers are now required to list recalls on their websites when they occur. If an item is relatively new, that can be a good place to start. However, they are not required to keep recalls on the site indefinitely, so do not assume that, just because you don’t see a recall listed, one did not occur. It’s a good idea to check online at WeMakeItSafer.com or CPSC.gov before purchasing a second-hand item.
- Read all warning labels before using a product
- Remember some older products do not meet current safety standards
- Products great to borrow or buy second hand include: clothes, books, maternity wear, basic toys that are in “like new” condition and can be easily cleaned
- What to stay away from: car seats, cribs, crib mattresses and breast pump accessories
- Most importantly, err on the side of caution and safety and use your best judgement when buying second hand baby products or taking hand-me-downs. If you are unsure of the safety of any used baby product, it’s better to buy new.
Read more great tips and learn the basic rules of buying and using second hand products, hand-me-downs, and heirloom baby gear HERE.
What about hand-me-down Boppy products?
All of our Boppy products are covered under The Boppy Guarantee for up to 1 year from when it was originally purchased. This is the life expectancy of the pillow, as the pillows are most fluffy and supportive during that first year. For each new little one it’s a good idea to invest in a new Boppy® Feeding and Infant Support pillow to make sure you are getting the best quality and support for you and your baby.